Sunday, December 19, 2010

The Best Parts of My Week....12/13-12/17

Hi everyone,
"Fitness Frankie" is a big part of the "Best Parts of My Week" this week! Here's why.......

......On Monday we held our third North Park Healthy Highway assembly. Based on an idea I had while attending a conference awhile back, I created "Fitness Frankie"! Fitness Frankie is a bear that my husband brought back for me from Indiana when he was visiting friends a few years back (I love bears!). I have had him in my office for a few years but he did not have a name or a purpose until recently. He has a race car on his stomach so I thought that I might use him for our Healthy Highway program one day. Well, one idea led to another and now we have Fitness Frankie! I introduced him at our assembly this week and our students were very excited! Fitness Frankie is going to spend one week in each classroom so that he can learn about Healthy Highway and participate in Wellness Wednesday and Fitness Friday, He travels in a small sack with a binder so that students in each classroom can help him to keep a journal of his adventure! One of our third grade classes was the first to host Fitness Frankie and I had a ball visiting the classroom and talking to students about how he was doing! On Tuesday I reminded the class that the next day was Wellness Wednesday. One of the students asked me about what Fitness Frankie likes to eat! I answered that he likes anything healthy of course! On Wednesday I visited the class at the end of the day and had the pleasure of listening to one of the students read what he had written about the healthy snacks that Fitness Frankie had eaten! Fitness Frankie also attended Fitness Friday in the gymnasium (where else would he be???) where students, teachers, and I danced the Peanut Butter and Jelly Dance and the Cupid Shuffle!

.....During the North Park Healthy Highway assembly, our principal announced how many miles that students had earned for good character (traveling down Respect Road) and healthy choices by participating in Wellness Wednesday and Fitness Friday. Our students traveled 264 miles this month! We are all very proud of their efforts!

.......While talking to some students during bus duty Fitness Frankie came up again. These students are not in the class where Fitness Frankie was this week and they were talking about the exercises they were going to have him do during Fitness Friday when it was their turn to host!

.....Unrelated to Fitness Frankie, but related to bears and zoo animals, my kindergarten students were participating in a Zany Zoo activity to practice moving in different levels. I created a "Zoo Ring" using some foam noodles and noodle connectors. I was watching the activity when a student jumped out of the "Zoo Ring" and said "Look! I escaped!" I laughed out loud!

Have a great week everyone! Thanks for reading about the best parts of my week!