Monday, January 25, 2010

The Best Part of My Day......1/25

Sometimes, the best part of my day involves time outside the gymnasium. Don't get me wrong, I love my job teaching PE!, but I do spend a fair amount of time with students during other events in the building and I enjoy this time as well. This month, I am assigned to supervising students while they are waiting to be picked up at the end of the school day. While some might disagree, I actually like this assignment! For me, it's a chance to interact with students in a different way. It's a great time for relaxed conversation as I ask students about their day, etc. Recently, a few of the "pick-ups" as we call the students, became interested in world capitals. The students are quite bright and know many more of these capitals than I do! They have enjoyed quizzing me at the end of the day and I have enjoyed learning too! Today we started with State Capitals and more and more of the students in this group are getting excited! Tomorrow I am going to bring my set of State Capitals flash cards that I planned to use for a game during PE. I'm going to study too! While this supervision time is brief, it has created teachable moments for many students, myself included!!!!!