Sunday, January 15, 2017

The Best Parts of My Week - 1/9/17--1/13/17

 Hi everyone,
Aside from an early release day on Friday it was a full week and a great week to get back in the groove!  After I mentioned in an earlier blog that I am retiring at the end of this school year I have been answering many questions and it has been helpful to talk about it!  

…..At the beginning of the week I was fixing the PE Password folder that hangs in the hallway.  It lasts for quite some time but every once in awhile it needs some TLC.  There was a class across the hall waiting to go into the Art room.  I knew they wanted to “peek” but they weren’t sure if they could since they were waiting quietly for the Art teacher.  Since I noticed this I held the cover up so that they could see the PE Password and they smiled and nodded as they said “intensity” (the PE password)!

…..Students have been working hard to practice their rope jumping skills.  They are persevering as some of the skills are quite challenging.  One of my 5th graders was successful doing a skill called "The Double Under" this week!  The look on his face was priceless!  I have been practicing but I can’t do it just yet……..stay tuned!

…..Physical Eddie continues his adventure in a fourth grade class.  On the way out of school one day a student stopped to say:  “Physical Eddie sat with my while I did my homework!”  I asked:  “Did he help you?”  She responded:  “Yes!”  I thought....what a smart bear!

…..A second grader arriving to PE says:  “PE is my favorite special!”  

…...A second grader leaving PE says:  “I wish we had PE every day!”  I responded:  “Me too!”

…..Students have been challenging themselves with many new jump rope skills and when they are successful the looks on their faces always make the list of the “Best Parts!”  I have certainly seen the look of success on the faces of many students during my career but it never gets old.  I think it’s because each student is different and I am invested in their success no matter what the skill is or how old they are (or I am!)......

…..I like to use BAM Video delay when students are learning jump rope skills.  If you have not used it before it is a fantastic app that records activity on a loop and allows students to see themselves performing a skill without touching the screen.  I tell students they are allowed to use it to either help them get better at a skill or to see how awesome they are at a skill!  Many students are surprised to see themselves and it almost always helps them improve! Physical Eddie was working on improving too!


…..Fitness Frankie played basketball over the weekend with his friends and great pictures came back in his journal!  One student told me that his dad was bringing in the picture later in the week and asked if he could bring it down to me when it arrived.  Of course I said yes and sure enough it arrived.  He was so proud and had a smile a mile wide when he brought it down to the gymnasium!
…..My fourth grade class finished their introduction papers this week. We are planning to send them to a class that we are connecting with in Texas.  They are terrific!  The students worked hard on the pictures and writing and included great questions for our friends.  I can’t wait to send them and share them!

…..We had a Fuel Up to Play 60 Student Ambassador meeting this week. This is a wonderful group of students and they make each meeting worthwhile. I have said this before but it continues to be true. This week we worked on making a video for Fitness Friday.  Students paired up and chose an exercise to do for 10 seconds.  They were so enthusiastic!  The video is done and we are going to share it this coming week for a Fitness Friday activity.  They will be celebrities in their classrooms!

…..I was working with a student on basic rope jumping skills this week and frustration was setting in for a few students.  I explained that these skills are very hard and it is ok to be frustrated but no ok to quit.  I gave him an option to say:  I can’t do it yet…..not right now……. and I’m still working on it.  He tried it and it definitely helped!  I used those lines as the week went on and described some skills that I am still working on (the double under as previously noted……).  It was wonderful to see students embrace the challenge and continue to persevere!

…..I took plenty of pictures of Physical Eddie this week and showed some of the fourth graders from the class that is hosting him.  They loved the pictures!  They said:  “Awwwww…..” and smiled from ear to ear!  It’s funny….some classes seem to enjoy the bears but other classes simply love each and every minute!  This class is one of those classes!
Warming up with Deck Workout

Learning about the PE Password

Answering a Plickers question


…...As a 4th grader left PE this week after practicing his rope jumping skills he said:  ”Thanks for the good advice!”

…..At the end of the week a second grade class was waiting to be picked up and we were chatting.  One of the students said:  “For some reason I jump rope better with my eyes closed……”  I told him that I thought I had the answer.  I explained that some students jump rope better with their eyes closed because it helps them focus and eliminate other distractions.  I explained that rhythm is important when you jump rope and you need to focus on the beat.  When his teacher arrived I asked him to tell her what he noticed.  She wondered if that strategy would help with other skills!  I guess you never know!  :-)  

I hope you enjoyed the "Best Parts of My Week!" Visit my website: North Park Physical Education to find out more about our Physical Education program.