Sunday, December 11, 2016

The Best Parts of My Week - 12/5/16--12/9/16

It is holiday time and students are so excited they can barely contain themselves!  We started off the week with some snow which had students singing holiday songs and thinking that our school festivities are right around the corner…...they are!  

…..This is my student teacher’s seventh week and he finishes his experience next week.  The time has flown by and this week I had the privilege of seeing him be successful and more independent.  It has been gratifying to see the growth.  The contrast between the opposite stages of our careers while he begins his and I am close to ending mine as I move toward retirement has made me think back and enjoy some memories…..

…..After the conclusion and success of Circus Week last week I had fun congratulating our 5th grade students on their amazing Circus Show!  I could see the pride on their faces and they even seemed to walk a little taller this week……

…..As a result of a data team meeting that I attended a few weeks back I decided to create a “Sensory Corner” for students who need a break with some sensory input.  We have so many students who have so many needs and I am constantly trying to find out what I can do to meet these needs.  After talking with our Occupational Therapist, Kindergarten teachers, and our principal, I came up with a corner that includes a small play tent and a variety of tactile, visual, and sensory equipment for use by students.  I decided to call it the “Vacation Corner” and students must “work” in order to take a vacation (don’t we all???).  Included in the corner is a sand timer and students must use the timer and when it is finished they must come out and try again (work).  While this certainly does not meet the need of every student I was pleased at the success of this relatively simple idea.  I’m still learning after all these years!



…..While having a student teacher involves work and is a labor of love, there are advantages to having one.  This week I was able to help out some individual students while my student teacher led the class.  I was having a discussion with a new student and I was explaining to him what a student teacher is and that our student teacher would finish next week.  He looked at me and said:  “wait...do you actually work here?”

…..Physical Eddie is spending time in a kindergarten class and they are just beginning to get to know him.  As I was walking back to PE with a student who was holding him I noticed that the student was having a conversation with Physical Eddie and was talking to him like he is real!  (isn’t he????)  There is something magical about stuffed animals in general and teddy bears in particular and the personalities that we have created for our fitness bears have allowed students to experience the magic!  

…..On Friday my student teacher and I went to a kindergarten classroom to do a Fitness Friday activity using Go Noodle.  We had so much fun!  Physical Eddie was in attendance too and students were so cute as they were sharing him and continuing their conversation with him!  The adults in the room jumped right on board and exercised too…..that’s part of what makes North Park so special……….


…..I told a second grade student that it was her turn to take Fitness Frankie home for the weekend.  She responded with YESSSSS!!; along with a fist pump!  She was ready and excited to have a healthy adventure with him!  

…..It was a quiet week after the wonderful intensity of Circus Week.  I think we all needed one!

I hope you enjoyed the "Best Parts of My Week"!  Visit my website:  North Park Physical Education to find out more about our Physical Education program.