Sunday, June 12, 2016

The Best Parts of My Week - 6/6/10--6/10/16

Hi everyone,
     The final countdown to the end of the school year has begun!  Excitement is in the air and talk of Field Day has taken over all parts of the school.  In reality, I have been planning for months, but now the students are acutely aware that Field Days are next week!

…..Our primary students continued practicing Yoga this week.  I have a variety of resources such as DVD’s, apps, and such.  At the end of a first grade class one of my students asked me where I got the DVD that we were using.  I told him that I had bought it quite some time ago and could not quite remember where I got it.  I asked him why he wanted to know.  He told me that his family is not that active and he thought that Yoga would be a great way to get the family moving!  How great is that?  I am proud his courage to take this message of the need for healthy choices and physical activity home to his family.

…..A first grade teacher told me that when her students were wondering if they were going outside for PE or if they were going to do Yoga, she asked them which they would prefer.  Yoga won!

…..The saying:  “Necessity is the mother of invention” was never truer this week.  I had intended to continue our Yoga practice with another resource that I have when my computer decided not to work.  It was the beginning of a kindergarten class and it had been working just moments before.  After a few frustrating moments I decided to get my iPad and hook it up.  My colleague had been searching for Yoga resources the day before and came across Cosmic Kids Yoga.  I decided to try it and my students loved it!  I remarked more than once in the next day or two that if you had told me thirty years ago that we would have the technology to play videos from YouTube on a large screen while students practiced Yoga with enthusiasm I would have never believed it!

…..We held our last Fuel Up To Play 60 Student Ambassador meeting this week and we wrapped up the year with smoothies and some raffle prizes, which were generously donated by FUTP60 and the American Dairy Council.  It was a great year and we had so much fun with this group!  Our Let'sDance Fitness Friday, Veggie Taste Test Day, and Bike Rodeo and Safety Clinic were very successful and it was a pleasure working with this group of students.  We made smoothies with yogurt, milk, frozen fruit, and bananas and they were delicious.  It was a great way to start the day!


…..Our older students have been learning how to throw and catch Frisbees using different targets and games.  We have been having lots of fun outside and the students are getting quite good at the skills!  I learned a warm-up from my colleague that we have been using for this unit.  It involves a “Frisbee Flip”.  Students pair up and flip the Frisbee in the air.  One student calls heads or tails and if the Frisbee lands face up it is heads and face down it is tails.  If the student caller is correct, he/she gets to pick a warm-up exercise and if not, the other student picks the exercise.  Students take turns flipping the Frisbee and completing exercises.  It is a fun and simple warm-up that students have been enjoying.  This week one of our third grade students told me that she asked her cheerleading coach if they could do the Frisbee Flip warm-up at practice and the coach said yes!  It was fun to have her make a connection and share something she enjoyed outside of PE class! 


…..Friday after school I began to set up an obstacle course in preparation for Field Day.  I always enjoy being creative with this obstacle course and I added something this year based on something I saw a student do with a Frisbee target.  It was very windy this week and I wanted to create a target that students could throw a Frisbee through.  I ended up using floor tape to tape two flexible jumps stick to a large hoop and then I stuck the ends of the sticks in two cones.  I noticed one student aimed for the target, threw the Frisbee accurately through it, and then retrieved the Frisbee by climbing through the hoop!  Now, it wasn’t exactly the correct thing to do but it worked and seemed to be great fun!  I took that idea and made a few more that were lower to the ground for the Field Day obstacle course!  Stay tuned next week for pictures!

I hope you enjoyed the "Best Parts of My Week"!  Visit my website:  North Park Physical Education to find out more about our Physical Education program.  




Follow me on Twitter!  @mrobPE