Sunday, April 10, 2016

The Best Parts of My Week - 4/4/16--4/18/16

Hi everyone,
       The "Best Parts of My Week" have nothing and everything to do with school!  Well, let me explain.........

.....I had an amazing opportunity to be at the SHAPE America (Society of Health and Physical Educators) National Convention in Minneapolis, Minnesota this past week!  My district and school were generous enough to provide me with the opportunity to go and spend the week with some of the best PE and Health Educators in the country!  In and of itself, that chance qualifies as a "Best Part", but of course there is more!

.....The week started off with a general session with Tom Rath - author of Fully ChargedHow Full is Your Bucket?, The Rechargeables, and many more wonderful books.  During his keynote address he talked about so many ideas that resonated with me but the one that stuck out the most made me think about the reason I write this blog.  He talked about how we need to charge ourselves up in our daily lives and one of the ways that we can do that is by experiencing what he called "small wins".  These "small wins" create meaning in our lives and help us to "charge".  I truly believe that this blog is about all of the "small wins" in my life and they definitely keep me charged up!

.....I also had the chance to participate in some training regarding SHAPE's National Standards and Grade Level Outcomes.  During this training I learned so much and I met some fantastic professionals that I will hopefully get a chance to work with in the future!

.....During a second general session I was afforded the opportunity to sit in the front of the auditorium based on our designation as a "Let's Move Active School".  It was wonderful because Koo Koo Kangaroo was going to perform and I would be able to see them up close!  If you do not know who Koo Koo Kangaroo is I would suggest that you check them out!  They are a duo and perform songs that provide activities for children (adults too!).  They are a big hit on a website called Go Noodle which provides ways for students to have activity breaks at school.  My students absolutely LOVE Go Noodle and Koo Koo Kangaroo!  I can't wait to tell them that Fitness Frankie and I saw them in person when I get back to school!



.....Later in the week we had some time to go to the Mall of America with some family that lives nearby.  Fitness Frankie found home plate from when it was Metropolitan Stadium!

.....Fitness Frankie made a new friend!



.....At the end of the week we celebrated the newest Teachers of the Year at the Hall of Fame Dinner.  We had a great time celebrated with so many amazing teachers.  It inspired me to go back and do the very best job I can do!  I am ready to return and hit the ground running!  

.....At the convention I went to so many sessions and learned so many things that my head is full and I will need some time to process all of the things that I learned.  So many ideas.....so little time.......

I hope you enjoyed the "Best Parts of My Week"!  Visit my website:  North Park Physical Education to find out more about our Physical Education program.  


Follow me on Twitter!  @mrobPE