Monday, March 21, 2016

The Best Parts of My Week - 3/14/16--3/18/16

Hi everyone,
     After the wonderful intensity of circus week last week it was nice to get back to a fun but relatively normal week.  That being said, there were so many “Best Parts!”

…..Speaking of the intensity of circus week, I had so many things to write about last week that I actually forgot to add one of the “Best Parts!”  One day after school during circus week a few of our teachers came down to the gym while we were cleaning up.  Two of the teachers wanted to walk on the wire and the other one wanted to practice spinning a plate.  The circus artists from the National Circus Project were fantastic and brought the wire back out so that these teachers could try it.  They were encouraging and engaging and took the extra time with these teachers that made this experience one to remember for sure!  I had a chance to interact with the teacher who wanted to practice spinning a plate.  We had a terrific conversation!  He shared with me that when he was a student the National Circus Project came to his school (he is much younger than I am…..) and he remembered the week fondly.  He talked about the acts that he performed in and wanted to see if he could remember how to do the plate spinning.  What a powerful message that these kinds of experiences can have long-range effects……

…..Sometimes students say the most adorable and memorable things!  On Monday, one of my students was trying to tie his shoes and was having a bit of trouble.  I commented that the shoelaces seemed a bit slippery.  I mentioned this to him and he agreed and said:  “Slippery Dippery”!

…..This week my students were finishing a set of stations that were being used to help students improve their ball handling skills.  One of the stations involved dribbling a ball to create a personal “world record”.  I encouraged students to share their world record with me.  One student came up to me and said:  “I beat my world record!  I went from 44-53!”

…..During these stations, students were able to watch themselves on video after they dribbled a ball using a zig-zag pathway around some cones.  While watching himself one student called over to me to say:  “Hey Mrs. R, I’m getting better!”  I asked:  “ Do you think the camera is helping?”  He replied with an enthusiastic “YES!”

…..This week I began a warm-up involving an active version of Rock, Paper, Scissors that we had started prior to circus week.  I was reminding a first grade class of the rules and procedures and how rock breaks scissors, scissors cuts papers, and paper covers rock when one of the students said:  “it’s like they all have weaknesses!”  I was struck by this comment as it showed an interesting level of thinking and it was also a great way to explain the procedures of the game.

…..While a fifth grade class was beginning their warm-up using the Rock, Paper, Scissors game I noticed one student helping another student who is learning English Language for the first time learn the game.  I stood back and observed the process and was impressed.  I was thinking that this student might be a future teacher! 

…..As I planned for the week I needed to write substitute plans for Friday because I was going to be at a conference.  I wrote the plans and shared them before Friday with the person who was going to substitute for me since she was in school as a substitute for another teacher.  The next day this person told me that she shared the Rock, Paper, Scissors warm-up with her husband and daughter who is in high school.  They had so much fun playing it at home!  That made me smile!

…..During a second grade class I had a great conversation with a student who is very interested in rocks and minerals.  He mentioned that his birthday month birthstone meant that he had courage.  He asked me about my birthday month and based on my answer he thought that mine meant hope.  The next day I happened to be in his classroom and he took the time to share his book with me.  We looked up my birthstone and he was correct.  It was so great to be able to  take part in something that he was interested in outside of PE class! 

…..On Wednesday I had the pleasure of having a visitor come to my school.  This person is a friend (on Twitter @PEtop5) but also a representative for the US Games OPEN (Online Physical Education Network).  Truly by accident I had happened to be using the OPEN resources and it was so fun to be able to show how we were using the program at North Park!  I have learned so much from so many amazing professionals and I am always happy to share what I have learned.  I often say and I always believe "Together we are stronger!"

…..Physical Eddie was being taken care of by a kindergarten class and he got right into the middle of the action during our station work to get better at bouncing and catching a ball! 




……On Friday I was at Adelphi University for the Nassau Zone of NYS AHPERD conference.  It was fun to see friends and like-minded professionals and continue to learn from others.  I know that I have so many opportunities to attend and present at conferences and I try very hard not to take these opportunities for granted.  I presented two sessions and met some fantastic PE professionals.  There were so many great moments at the conference but the best one was the conversation I had with a former student who is now a PE teacher and Athletic Director himself!  We had the best time reminiscing and I was so touched when he thanked me for teaching him……..I responded that moments like this are a rare privilege and they touch my heart in ways that I can’t express…..

I hope you enjoyed the "Best Parts of My Week"!  Visit my website:  North Park Physical Education to find out more about our Physical Education program.  


Follow me on Twitter!  @mrobPE