Sunday, October 4, 2015

The Best Parts of My Week - 9/28/15--10/2/15

Hi everyone,
     I am not quite sure how I packed everything in this week!  Most weeks are busy but this week was unbelievable!  However, busier weeks mean more chances for "Best Parts!"

.....A colleague and I facilitate a Fuel Up to Play 60 Student Ambassador group.  Last year was the first year that we began the program and we had so much fun!  We invited last year's ambassadors as well as some new students to join the group this week.  We had letters and permission slips ready to go and on Monday I spoke directly with students to explain the invitation.  Students were so excited by the invitations!  One student smiled from ear to ear and said:  "YES!"  During our Meet the Staff Nights this week I also spoke with many parents of invited students and it was wonderful to hear how excited the students were as well as how supportive and excited the families are!  Our first meeting is next week so stay tuned!

.....Monday night and Tuesday night were Meet the Staff nights.  While it's true that these events lengthen an already busy day, I really never mind being a part of them.  It is a chance to interact with parents and advocate for my program.  Some years I have to stand in the hallway to speak to families as they go by, and other years there are families that make a special point of visiting the gymnasium to find out about the program.  This year was a mix of both.  I was able to meet families of new students, speak to families in the hallway about PE work displayed on a bulletin board, and even chat with parents who at one time were my students!  Honestly, reminiscing with a parent about their time at North Park when they were my student never gets old!  It is truly a privilege to have worked in a school long enough to have that happen!  I was also proud to show off the gymnasium's new look as it was painted this summer and more renovation work is scheduled this fall!

.....The "Best Parts" continued outside of my school day this week as I had the terrific opportunity to present a SHAPE America Webinar called PE Plus:  Ways to Make a Difference Beyond the Gymnasium.  My friend and fellow PE teacher Lynn and I worked for months to put together this presentation and we were beyond nervous!  The hard work was well worth it as we had a great time presenting and in the end it all worked out great!  We had some wonderful help from our SHAPE moderators and we are so grateful for the opportunity!

.....In every school there are students with special needs and my school is no different.  The fact is, all students are different no matter what their strengths and challenges are and finding out how to meet the needs of all students can be challenging.  This week I had some amazing conversations with students and as a result, students were able to communicate with me about what they need to be successful.  They had the courage to speak up and I had the opportunity to listen.......

.....This week signaled the end of the month which means that Fitness Calendars are due.  I recognize students as Fitness Fanatics on a bulletin board, in my newsletter, and on my website if they turn in a completed Fitness Calendar.  There were so many that I had a hard time keeping up with the list!

.....On Friday this week we had our first school-wide Fitness Friday.  It was so much fun!  I played an activity song using our PA system and students move using a "follow the leader" approach.  While the song is playing I try to get to as many classrooms as possible and move along with them.  It was so great to see students and adults moving and smiling together!  One student asked me if we could do this every Friday!  This weekend I received an email from a classroom teacher who thanked me for the activity and told me how much everyone enjoyed it (including the adults!).  I wanted to say THANK YOU!  

I hope you enjoyed the "Best Parts of My Week"!  Visit my website:  North Park Physical Education to find out more about our Physical Education program.