Sunday, September 13, 2015

The Best Parts of My Week - 9/8/15--9/11/15

Hi everyone,
     It's great to be back!  School just began here in the northeast and just when I wonder how I will write this blog with new material new "Best Parts" occur!

.....On Tuesday our district held it's annual Superintendent's Conference Day to begin the new school year.  It was my 32nd opening day and it was great to see everyone and share summer stories.  It is always an exciting day but believe it or not I am always a little nervous.  I was actually like that as a student every single year from kindergarten to college.  Even though I loved school the beginning of each year terrified me.  I finally came to the realization as an adult that the anxiety and nervousness that I was feeling was more about my worry that I would not be able to meet the expectations of the new year.  I learned on this day this year that sometimes all it takes to try something difficult is "10 seconds of Courage".  The basis of our school character education program involves teaching students to have "the courage to do the right thing even when no one is watching".  Our principal found a TED talk video about finding "10 seconds of Courage" to get started when something is difficult.  We are planning to use this theme with our students this year.  It was an incredibly motivating video and I know it will motivate me when I find that I need it!

.....While it was my 32nd opening day it was my student teacher's first!  I could see the excitement (and nervousness too...) on her face and it made me remember that it was not that long ago (at least in my mind) that I was just starting out!

.....At the end of our conference day I stopped by my principal's office to say good-bye and ask if we were all set for the first day of school with students.  We chatted a bit about the preparations  and acknowledged that we both had been planning and working for weeks to get ready for the new school year.  We wondered together if anyone outside of the world of education really knows how much work goes into getting ready for just the first day!

.....On Wednesday the first day of school had finally arrived.  There is nothing like the first day of school!  There were smiles upon smiles, hugs to friends and teachers, excitement about new classes and new friends, and of course, a variety of new sneakers, backpacks and crayons!  I had my new sneakers on and was happy to wear them on the first day!

.....I have mentioned many times that our school is a Healthy Highway school and we use this program to support our school-wide focus on Physical Education and Fitness, Nutrition Education, and Character Education.  Each class has a car on a road in the hallway and cars move along the road when students earn miles for healthy choices.  I observed a third grade teacher introducing this to her students in the hallway.  This particular class has a weekly job called Nutritionist and the student whose job it is to be the Nutritionist check snacks to be sure they are healthy.  I was thrilled!

.....As a fifth grade class left PE on the first day of school we told the classroom teachers that the class was awesome and really started the year off well.  The teachers were very proud and awarded the class their very first Healthy Highway mile of the year!

.....During the first few days of school all adults pitch in where they can to help direct students to the right class, greet students off of the busses, and generally be available as needed.  My student teacher and I were in the lobby on Thursday morning and we witnessed two brothers entering the building together.  The older brother turned to the younger brother, they hugged and he kissed him on top of his head and said good-bye for the day.  It was precious, spontaneous, caring, and we were so happy to witness this quiet act of kindness.

.....We were introducing a new warm-up to a first grade class and we were teaching students that the heart is a muscle.  When I asked students what happens when you exercise your muscles, one of the students flexed her biceps muscles in a gesture of strength.  It was awesome!  I was so impressed we all did it together as a class!

.....As we were introducing the Healthy Highway PE Rules of the Road this week we were making connections between ourselves and cars.  For example, arms are car doors, hearts are engines, sneakers are tires, and so on.  One student asked "What about an oil change?"  We have been doing Healthy Highway for quite some time and I have never been asked that question!  I thought about it for a quick ten seconds or so and came up with the need to make sure that we don't eat too much fat and that the fat we do eat is the good kind so that our arteries and veins don't get clogged!  There is never an end to the connections to be made!

.....At the end of the week a few students from our high school came after school to visit.  It was so great to see these former students and chat with them about what they are doing and how the new school year had started.  They seemed happy to be back for a visit and we were so glad to see them!  It makes me realize the responsibility we have as elementary teachers as students begin their education with us........

I hope you enjoyed the "Best Parts of My Week"!  Visit my website:  North Park Physical Education to find out more about our Physical Education program.