Sunday, April 26, 2015

The Best Parts of My Week 4/20/15--4/24/15

Hi everyone,
     Some weeks the big events dominate the "Best Parts" but this week it was the little moments that captured my attention, and in many ways my heart......

.....As school began one morning I heard some noise in the hallway outside of the gymnasium.  I went out to investigate and found a student that needed some guidance.  As I was walking with him back to the place that he was supposed to be (rather than the place I found him...) he said:  "You live in the gym right?"  While this is not the first time I have been asked this question, he said it with such conviction that it was meant as a statement rather than a question!  I explained to him that while I spent a lot of time in the gymnasium, I actually live in a house, just like he does.  He seemed to understand the clarification and went on his merry way!

.....I have a goal chart in my gymnasium that I use every day to post learning goals, essential questions, exit questions, and picture clues to help students focus on what learning should be taking place.  Not only does the chart help me focus on the lesson, but it also creates a "print rich" environment for students.  I had a kindergarten class that was working on striking skills and one group was near the goal chart as they were working with noodles and balloons.  Recently the warm-up included some leaping and a task card with pictures of the stages of leaping was clipped to the goal chart.  As a student was practicing his striking skills I noticed him looking at the task card and earnestly practicing each stage of the leap!  Learning happens in different times and spaces......Mission accomplished!

.....As elementary students my classes do not change for PE class.  However, one of the challenges that I face (and I am sure many others) is having students unprepared for PE class by not wearing sneakers.  I send home reminders and I have a sneaker box for students to borrow from but I am always happier when students have their own sneakers to wear.  This week one of my students who had trouble remembering sneakers wore sneakers to PE.  She arrived with a big smile and said:  "I finally remembered my sneakers!"  She was proud of herself and so was I!

.....As my primary students finished up a unit learning about striking skills I noticed that many had really improved their skills.  This week several students showed me creative tricks that they invented, and one kindergarten student even told me how she could use her favorite hand and her not so favorite hand!  At the end of each class I asked students to tell a friend if they were getting better and how they knew it.  I was very impressed with the responses that I listened to as well as those responses that were shared with me.  Many students used the count of consecutive hits as evidence of improvement and other used successful target hits as evidence.  How smart is that?  These are kindergarten, first, and second grade students after all!

....Speaking of practicing and improvement, my upper elementary students are working on fitness challenges and are warming up with jump ropes.  This week many students were proud to show me their progress on their partner and triple group rope tricks!

.....As small groups of students are working with me on the fitness challenges, others are choosing from a variety of activities.  Our essential question is:  "What does being a good sport look like and feel like?"  One of the games that students can choose from is a "Striker Sheet" game.  Basically it is a six-sided goal game with cloth flags attached to cones as goals.  Students must hit a ball with their hands to score and can defend any attempt at scoring.  This is a very exciting game and my students love to play.  Sometimes the enthusiasm gets the best of them and they need some reminders about sportsmanship.  I saw great progress in this regard this week as students worked so hard to be kind and good sports regardless of the situation in the game.  

.....At the end of the week I allowed my primary classes something called "Freedom with responsibility" while participating in striking skill stations.  I always tell students that the freedom part is easy because you are allowed to choose your activity and play freely but the responsibility part is harder because you need to be sure to do the right thing and move safely when changing activities.  Most groups take the responsibility seriously and enjoy the freedom tremendously.  I rarely use this approach with kindergarten but I have a group this year that I believed could handle it.  They did not disappoint!  I often tell this group that they are the "best fifth grade class that I have ever had!"  They know I am joking but they still remind me every time I say it that they are kindergartners!  It makes me smile every time!  

I hope you enjoyed the "Best Parts of My Week!"  To find out more about the PE program at North Park, visit my website:  North Park Physical Education