Sunday, January 11, 2015

The Best Parts of My Week - 1/5/14--1/9/15

Hi everyone,
     Happy New Year!  It is hard to believe that it is 2015 and since I began my career in January of 1984 this marks the beginning of my 32nd year of teaching!  I do not know where the time has gone but it has been a truly amazing ride.....

.....I began the week at home due to an unfortunate accident that resulted in a broken foot.  While this is not the way that I planned to start the new year it makes it to the list of "Best Parts of My Week" because of the wonderful response and offers of help from so many.  When I finally made it back to school on Thursday I was overwhelmed with the caring and help from students and adults.  I am so grateful......

.....On Thursday I planned an activity that would be fun for all but that would not involve too much set up.  I settled on an game called Fitness Payback which involves bowling pins, exercise stations and bean bags.  The students love this game and while they were playing one student came over to have his shoe tied.  As I was tying his shoe another student knocked over his bowling pin.  He turned to the student and said:  "That doesn't count.....I'm on pause!"  It made me think of pausing a video game and I decided that this was a better way to be on "pause"!

.....Cardio Cal is spending some time in a fifth grade class and he came to PE this week.  The students were having so much fun including him in their activity!  One student positioned him so that he could use the flex bands and warm up with everyone else.  It was too cute!  

.....The National Circus Project is coming to our school next week to conduct an artist-in-residence program during which students learn a variety of circus skills and one grade level performs for the entire school at the end of the week.  I had the opportunity to share this with students this week and the excitement in the air was infectious!  We can't wait to spin plates, juggle, balance, and walk on stilts!  

.....The week ended with a snow day.  It is winter after all, and snow days are to be expected, however this one was somewhat of a surprise.  Here's to hoping that next week is a full week!


I hope you enjoyed the "Best Parts of My Week!"  To find out more about the PE program at North Park, visit my website:  North Park Physical Education